Google Search

Custom Search

Powered by...

Find us on Facebook

Thursday 15 May 2008

The Best Windows Media Center Tweak Ever?

I stumbled across this registry tweak today for improving the TV playback quality. I'm definitely going to give this a try to see what difference it makes? Source here.

"Edit the Registry and change the DefAvgBitRate value to a much higher value than is currently in the system. By default its set to 20000000. I set it to 80000000 and the quality improvement was astonishing! Even my wife noticed!

Where is this key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Media Center/Service/Video/Tuners/DVR

Why does this work so well? Simple. What you are doing here is changing the default bitrate that Media Center will record television shows at. Every time you watch television, you are watching recorded TV."

Update: I made the registry change but I'm not sure I noticed a difference in the TV playback quality? Let me know what you think about this ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

same here dont see difference

Anonymous said...

The data recorded is the data streamed to the TV card, it doesnt change anything about it when it saves it, most PCs wouldnt have the power to re-encode all that TV on the fly.

Hence its another bogus windows tip!