Google Search

Custom Search

Powered by...

Find us on Facebook

Friday 3 December 2010

Change the default windows audio device within MCE

I added a Denon CD Receiver (AMP) to one of my 7MC PC’s today to power some in-room speakers. I used the analogue stereo 3.5mm port on the back of the motherboard to the phono line in Left / Right ports on the back of the Denon amp.

I then needed a way to be able to change the default windows audio device from within the Media Center user interface, (Speakers) audio device for the Denon amp and (HDMI) audio device for the HDTV.

I tried to do this in the past using Vista Audio Changer but found it didn’t work 100% as it would minimize Media Center and then using a macro open the Playback audio devices dialog box and change the default audio device, it was hit and miss to say the least.

I then found a Windows Media Center add-in called Audio Renderer Updater on this page here. I installed it today on one of my 7MC PC’s and it works great, no minimizing of Media Center or any of that malarkey, it just switches the default windows audio device perfectly every time!

You can download the English version from here and the French version from here.

 

www.phaze1digital.com

5 comments:

Geoff Coupe said...

Excellent - I've been looking for a way to use my MCE to route music to the secondary zone on my Denon. This looks like it might do the trick.

Thanks for the pointer!

Anonymous said...

i installed this but i dont have all the options in your screenshot??

CW-KID said...

I'm not sure, which options are missing?

I installed the Mute button .reg file today, when I press the mute button MCE now switches between the HDMI audio device and speakers much easier than navigating in to the UI of the add-in.

Anonymous said...

Just came across this old blog entry - perhaps still monitored? You said "..Mute button .reg file..". What registry hack is that? Do you have a link?

CW-KID said...

The reg file was on the addins webpage somewhere. If not let me know I'll put it on my sky drive.