Google Search

Custom Search

Powered by...

Find us on Facebook

Wednesday 1 July 2020

Zebra roller blinds with DC 12V Motor and Qubino Z-Wave / Vera controller hub - Part 1

I've been looking for some blinds for my living room window. I already have motorised Z-Wave black out curtains fitted, however I wanted some light coloured blinds sat behind the curtains so I could let light in but still have some privacy.

Ideally I probably would have gone for wooden Venetian blinds, however there are limited cheaper options in the EU to control the tilt opening and closing on those kinds of blinds, Somfy do them but not so cheap.

The best DIY solution I have seen is the Z-Wave iBlinds Kit which is a Z-Wave enabled motor that sits directly hidden away in the header rail of the Venetian blinds, however these are only currently available for the US market, although I have been told by iBlinds that they are planning to release an EU model at some point.

The other option is them crappy looking chain cord pulley motors that look unreliable. Although I have a friend who rates the Brunt Blind Engine ones.

I then saw blinds called Zebra blinds, which is basically a roller blind, however they have a sheer part to the dual layer fabric, so you can either have them in full privacy or adjust them to allow in some light. Watch this random Youtube video better than me trying to explain what they are.


Roller blinds are much easier to integrate in to a Z-Wave network as there are plenty of roller shutter modules out there you can use. I previously used a 240V mains voltage roller tube motor and a Fibaro Roller Shutter module for the blinds in my kitchen

Looking on Aliexpress however, most motorised Zebra blinds for sale were either battery operated motors which I didn't want, or mains voltage motors, I wanted to avoid having to chase mains electric cables in to the walls again as I have just painted all of my lounge room, so I was looking for a low voltage 12V DC motor that could be used with a thin surface mounted cable. 

Most of the motors being sold as a complete Zebra blind kit also came with an RF 433Mhz remote control. I believe you cannot use an RF motor and then attached a Z-Wave roller shutter to it, as the motor is still expecting the signal to come from the RF remote control. My same friend also tried a Qubino Flush Shutter DC module with SmartThings and an RF 433Mhz tube motor he bought from Amazon, however he said it did not work for this reason, 

So I needed a 12V DC standard motor with no remote and no RF 433Mhz as I planned on using a Z-Wave Qubino Flush Shutter DC module. 


So I contacted my usual supplier on Aliexpress Scott from Friend Group their store has been renamed to Runxin Blinds Store however its the same people. 

I gave Scott my requirements and measurements and he said he could supply me a standard 12V DC motor in a 38mm diameter tube. 

To pick a fabric colour I was given this link here. I've picked colour B121 which looks to be a light cream colour I hope ! 


Other colours available:



These were the measurements of my Windows internal recess, which I sent to Scott. For my window size the cost was $135 USD. 


The construction of the Zebra blinds, they also call them Rainbow blinds on the Aliexpress store, they have a metal cassette style header concealing the roller blind itself and a metal bottom bar. 

undefined

undefined
Here is the proposed wiring diagram for the Qubino Flush Shutter DC module and the blinds 12v DC motor. 

I don't plan to install and connect a physical switch with the Qubino module. I do have an existing switch near to this window connected to a Fibaro Roller Shutter module for my Z-Wave curtain track.

I figured I could just program the Fibaro Roller Shutter module for double clicks up and double clicks down on its wall switch to then control the Zebra blinds / Qubino module. This will save me the hassle of wiring in another switch and cabling in to that wall again.






I've only just ordered my motorised Zebra blind kit, so it will take some time to arrive from China, I have already got the Qubino Flush Shutter DC module here. In part two it will be the unboxing. 

Part 2 here.

No comments: